Why Cisplatin is considered "general"

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Libby Dillon - 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Why Cisplatin is considered "general"

Postby Libby Dillon - 1A » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:14 am

I know Cisplatin is used to treat an array of different types if cancer, so is this why it is considered a "general" chemotherapy drug? Or does that have to do with its structure / other components?

Andrew Wang 1C
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Why Cisplatin is considered "general"

Postby Andrew Wang 1C » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:29 am

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "general" or not, but it could be that cisplatin isn't specific to just cancer cells since it can also affect healthy cells. What you said about it treating many types of cancer also makes sense though!

John Calonia 1D

Postby John Calonia 1D » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 am

As he said in lecture, cisplatin is general because it cannot distinguish between cancer and healthy cells, thus the DNA in both types of cells are affected. This can kill of healthy cells which can lead to the patient feeling serious side effects. However, it is important to note that the rapid reduplication of cancer cells leaves DNA exposed for longer times which is why cancer cells are more affected by the drug than healthy cells.

Natallie K 3B

Postby Natallie K 3B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Cisplatin is indiscriminate, which is why it has its limitations. It kills cancer cells, but meanwhile the good healthy cells are also being killed, so the person ends up feeling sick, a side effect of chemotherapy.

Marc Lubman 3B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Marc Lubman 3B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:41 pm

This same reason people mentioned above is also the reason why cisplatin is a "general" drug, meaning that it can be used to treat a variety of cancers. Since it is rather indiscriminate about the type of cells that it kills, you can use it in any part of the body and with any type of cell--be that a breast cancer cell, a liver cancer cell, a prostate cancer cell etc. I do believe though that there are types of cancers for which it is more optimal than others, given that different parts of the body metabolize drugs differently and that different parts of the body can afford indiscriminate damage better than others (I imagine, for example, that it would be rather dangerous to use cisplatin for brain cancer given that damage to surrounding cells would have catastrophic consequences, whereas use for colon cancer might be less risky since intestinal cells reproduce quite fast and often).

Return to “Biological Examples”