chelates

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

bgiorgi_3A

chelates

Postby bgiorgi_3A » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Hey guys! I am still a bit confused on what a chelate is. Would someone be able to explain it to me and maybe give an example please?

Samiha Molla 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: chelates

Postby Samiha Molla 3G » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:38 pm

A chelate is just a coordination compound that has ligands forming a ring around the TM cation. If you just google chelates and look on images it'll probably help to visualize what this looks like. Hope that helps!

John_Tran_3J

Postby John_Tran_3J » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:51 pm

It is a coordination compound that forms a ring around a polydentate cation.

EmilyC_3D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby EmilyC_3D » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:49 pm

I would agree with what everyone else is saying! What was helpful for me to was when one of the UAs explained to me that you can basically remember a chelate a coordination compound with at least one of more polydentate ligands, these multiple bonds to the transition metal result in the formation of a ring structure.

Alexandra Salata 2L

Postby Alexandra Salata 2L » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 am

A chelate is a compound containing a ligand (typically organic) bonded to a central metal atom at two or more points.

An example of a simple chelating agent is ethylenediamine
A single molecule of ethylenediamine can form two bonds to a transition-metal ion such as nickel(II), Ni2+.

Mackenzie Stockton 2H

Postby Mackenzie Stockton 2H » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 am

The quick answer is that whenever you see a compound with at least one polydenate ligand, that compound is a chelate.

A chelate is a compound that is a ring-like structure, in which the polydenate ligand(s) form a ring which locks in the central TM atom.

An example of a chelate is the heme complex. Fe is the central TM atom, with a porphyrin ligand (tetra dentate) making a ring like structure around the Fe. To make myoglobin, which is also considered a chelate bc of the porphyrin, O2 makes a coordinate covalent bond at the top and histadine makes a coordinate covalent bond with the Fe at the bottom of the Fe.

simona_krasnegor_1C

Postby simona_krasnegor_1C » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:38 am

Based on what Lavelle said in lecture, a chelate is a complex containing a ligand that forms a ring of atoms that includes the central metal atom. Chelating ligands can bind cations tightly.

Eric Cruz 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Eric Cruz 2G » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:32 pm

I believe what we need to understand that chelates are a kind of ligand that connects to a transition metal in a unique way: it forms a ring. The reason this occurs is because it has single bonds and has the ability to rearrange its shape.

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:34 pm

According to what Dr. Lavelle had mentioned in his previous lecture, a chelate is a complex containing a ligand that forms a ring of atoms, which include central metal atoms. Chelating ligands often bind cations tightly, because they are forming more than one bond.

Return to “Biological Examples”