Difference between Myoglobin and heme complex

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tae Pasawat 2A

Difference between Myoglobin and heme complex

Postby Tae Pasawat 2A » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:29 am

can someone please explain the differences between myoglobin and the heme complex? Thank you!

Abby Lam 3F

Re: Difference between Myoglobin and heme complex

Postby Abby Lam 3F » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:39 am

I'm not completely sure, but I believe the heme complex is a structure with four Nitrogens around one Iron. The iron has two more available places to bond, in addition to the four Nitrogens around it. Myoglobin is a protein that contains the heme complex. Myoglobin carries oxygen to muscle cells by binding to extra spaces around the Iron.

Ria Nawathe 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Ria Nawathe 1C » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 am

I agree with the previous answer, the heme complex + the hystidine protein make up myoglobin.

Raashi Chaudhari 3B

Postby Raashi Chaudhari 3B » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:49 pm

In a setup session my UA explained to us that the Heme Complex is one Iron, Fe, surrounded by & bonded to 4 Nitrogens, N. All of the Nitrogens are also connected. The Heme complex is therefore flat (like a pancake) and myoglobin is made up of these Heme Complexes. In myoglobin, O2 molecules will come an bind to the Fe; the myoglobin (I believe) helps oxygenate the blood, but I could be wrong about this part.

Raashi Chaudhari 3B

Postby Raashi Chaudhari 3B » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Raashi Chaudhari 2D wrote:In a setup session my UA explained to us that the Heme Complex is one Iron, Fe, surrounded by & bonded to 4 Nitrogens, N. All of the Nitrogens are also connected. The Heme complex is therefore flat (like a pancake) and myoglobin is made up of these Heme Complexes. In myoglobin, O2 molecules will come an bind to the Fe; the myoglobin (I believe) helps oxygenate the blood, but I could be wrong about this part.

After reading other Chem Community posts, myoglobin helps bring oxygen to muscle tissue!

Madeline Ogden 3B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:44 pm

From what I've gathered from my notes, the heme complex + protein = myoglobin, whereas hemoglobin contains 4 myoglobin-like molecules and assists with oxygen transportation in the blood. (For those wondering, these are my notes for Week 9, Lecture 1). Hope this helps!

Tae Pasawat 2A

Postby Tae Pasawat 2A » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi, thanks so much for your answers. I have another question. Is it a dative bond that connects oxygen to the iron?

Thanks!

Chinyere Okeke 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Chinyere Okeke 2J » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:04 am

The difference is that the heme complex is a part of a myoglobin --> heme complex + protein = myoglobin.

JonathanM

Postby JonathanM » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:03 pm

Tae Pasawat 2A wrote:Hi, thanks so much for your answers. I have another question. Is it a dative bond that connects oxygen to the iron?

Thanks!

So responding to the initial question, myoglobin is a heme complex with a histidine amino acid bonded to it, which is a molecule that typically helps build proteins. and The Oxygen is bonded to the iron via a dative bond.

Neha Jonnalagadda 2D

Postby Neha Jonnalagadda 2D » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:59 pm

Myoglobin is protein that stores oxygen in muscle cells in the tissue. The heme complex is a metal complex that can bind or release oxygen. It is part of the protein rather than the protein itself.

Return to “Biological Examples”