Final Exam

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samanthaywu

Final Exam

Postby samanthaywu » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:18 pm

Do we need to be able to thoroughly explain specific biological examples? I'm confused to what extent we need to know the information on this from lectures.

clairehathaway 2J

Re: Final Exam

Postby clairehathaway 2J » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:40 pm

I don't think you need to be able to thoroughly explain them but you should probably have a good general understanding of what they are/why they are significant. For example I think it would be useful to understand Cisplatin and the trans version and understand why Cisplatin is effective but not the trans version. Also just understanding that different transition metals can serve different purposes and probably also having some basic knowledge/understanding of a heme complex.

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:43 pm

So in one of the UA sessions the UA said that on his exam he was asked why Carbon monoxide was bad for the body, and in the question it asked for the heme complex to be drawn. I think that on our test it will be a little bit harder to ask for drawn examples, but I think that the question is still up for fair game. With that being said, I think that we mainly need to know hemoglobin and myoglobin in the detail that he explained in class and be able to apply that information to specific examples. Also, I have noticed on the homework it has asked about the transition metal that is associated with some of the vitamins, so I thinkt that besides hemoglobin and myoglobin, we shoud keep in mind a few of the other biological examples and their make-ups. I know that Lavelle said that we wouldn't have to worry about the other examples as much, but since they showed up int he homework I would keep them in mind

Taber Ball 1F

Postby Taber Ball 1F » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Kailani_Dial_3G wrote:So in one of the UA sessions the UA said that on his exam he was asked why Carbon monoxide was bad for the body, and in the question it asked for the heme complex to be drawn. I think that on our test it will be a little bit harder to ask for drawn examples, but I think that the question is still up for fair game. With that being said, I think that we mainly need to know hemoglobin and myoglobin in the detail that he explained in class and be able to apply that information to specific examples. Also, I have noticed on the homework it has asked about the transition metal that is associated with some of the vitamins, so I thinkt that besides hemoglobin and myoglobin, we shoud keep in mind a few of the other biological examples and their make-ups. I know that Lavelle said that we wouldn't have to worry about the other examples as much, but since they showed up int he homework I would keep them in mind

This was so helpful! I had the same question and you completely answered it. Thank you so much!
Is there a list of biological examples we should know? Or is it more just generally those discussed in the lecture/mentioned in HW?

Lily Anne Garcia 1C

Postby Lily Anne Garcia 1C » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:02 pm

i think if youre going to ua sessions and do the textbook problems youll see everything you need to know

Molly_Peterson_2F

Postby Molly_Peterson_2F » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:23 pm

Taber Ball 1F wrote:
Kailani_Dial_3G wrote:So in one of the UA sessions the UA said that on his exam he was asked why Carbon monoxide was bad for the body, and in the question it asked for the heme complex to be drawn. I think that on our test it will be a little bit harder to ask for drawn examples, but I think that the question is still up for fair game. With that being said, I think that we mainly need to know hemoglobin and myoglobin in the detail that he explained in class and be able to apply that information to specific examples. Also, I have noticed on the homework it has asked about the transition metal that is associated with some of the vitamins, so I thinkt that besides hemoglobin and myoglobin, we shoud keep in mind a few of the other biological examples and their make-ups. I know that Lavelle said that we wouldn't have to worry about the other examples as much, but since they showed up int he homework I would keep them in mind

This was so helpful! I had the same question and you completely answered it. Thank you so much!
Is there a list of biological examples we should know? Or is it more just generally those discussed in the lecture/mentioned in HW?

I think that we likely only need to know the ones he discussed in lecture!

SelenaDahabreh1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby SelenaDahabreh1D » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:59 pm

I think it would be helpful to know these biological applications:
Cr - assist insulin in control of blood sugar
Fe - hemoglobin, myoglobin, electron transfer in the oxidation of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats (respiratory chain)
Co - vitamin b12
Mn, Ni, Cu, Zn - enzymatic functions

Chinmayi Mutyala 3H

Postby Chinmayi Mutyala 3H » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:50 am

During the workshop I attended, the UA said to know about cisplatin and the heme complex.

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Taber Ball 1F wrote:

I agree with what Molly Said I would focus on those discussed in class and homework!

Return to “Biological Examples”