Iron in Heme Coordination Number

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Keerthana Sundar 1K

Iron in Heme Coordination Number

Postby Keerthana Sundar 1K » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Hello! So I was doing a UA worksheet, and the question asked what the coordination number for iron would be in a typical heme complex. The answer to the question in the worksheet was 4, but I was wondering why it wouldn't be 6? Can't the iron also bind to the histidine and oxygen to make a total of 6 ligands? I apologize if I missed the explanation to this in lecture. I would really appreciate any help! Thanks!

Jeffrey Doeve 2I

Re: Iron in Heme Coordination Number

Postby Jeffrey Doeve 2I » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 pm

When we talk about the heme complex, we focus on the Fe and the porphyrin ligand(tetradentate). As a result, the coordination number of heme complex is 4 and its shape is square planar.

Aydin Karatas 1F

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:09 pm

In the week 9, Monday lecture, Dr. Lavelle explained that the porphyrin ring (a chelating ligand structure) fills up 4 of these sites, creating the heme structure. The fifth site is occupied by histidine, an amino acid in the myoglobin. The sixth site is what oxygen would bind to so that oxygen can be transported throughout the body.

So in just the heme group, the coordination number of Fe is 4.

Hope this helps!

Nicole Attiq 3D

Postby Nicole Attiq 3D » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 pm

I would also assume that histidine and oxygen are outside of the coordination sphere, which is why it is not considered when determining the coordination number. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Samidha Menon 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Samidha Menon 1E » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:15 am

It isn't included because the O2 and myoglobin are not part of the heme structure, so when talking about the heme structure specifically it would only be 4.

Return to “Biological Examples”