Biological Importance of Heme Complex

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Natalie Swerdlow 3K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Biological Importance of Heme Complex

Postby Natalie Swerdlow 3K » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 pm

In lecture, it was said that Fe binds to the porphyrin ligand to form a heme complex. I was hoping to get more of an explanation on what a heme complex and porphyrin ligands are and their biological significance? For example, is myoglobin considered a specific heme complex? If so, how do you name a heme complex if you were given a question that shows iron bonded to porphyrin ligands?

cherublina1l
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Biological Importance of Heme Complex

Postby cherublina1l » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:08 pm

i dont thinj myoglobin is a specific heme complex because its made of a heme complex and a protein. myoglobin binds O2 in tissues and molecules and hemoglobin which is made of 4 myoglobins will bind 4 O2 molecules. If it showed you a Fe bound to porypborin ligands you would just call it a heme complex i believe.
I dont know if that answered all of your questions but if someone else has a more thorough explanation hopefully they can comment!

Lynne Xu 3K

Postby Lynne Xu 3K » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:34 pm

A heme complex is an iron bound to a porphyrin ligand. The porphyrin ligand is a tetradentate molecule with four nitrogens facing inward.

An amino acid binds in the fifth site of the complex, making up myoglobin. The last site can be used to bind O2.

Samantha Melin 2E

Postby Samantha Melin 2E » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:58 pm

In lecture, we were told that the heme complex consists of a Fe bonded to a porphyrin ligand. If you add a protein to a heme complex, it becomes myoglobin and has the ability to transport O2. Four myoglobins make up a hemoglobin which transports O2 in the blood. In regards to your question, myoglobin contains a heme complex, and I don't think we would be asked to name any other systems containing a heme complex aside from the ones provided in lecture.

Return to “Biological Examples”