When do I use Ka or Pka?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmin Gonzalez

When do I use Ka or Pka?

Postby Jasmin Gonzalez » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:57 pm

How can we know when the appropriate circumstances for using either the acid dissociation constant Ka or its logarithmic counterpart, pKa ? Also in weak bases, how do we differentiate between the utilization of Kb and pKb ?

Darya Pahlavan

Re: When do I use Ka or Pka?

Postby Darya Pahlavan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:59 pm

Ka/Kb is for the equilibrium equations (K=[P]/[R]). You can use the natural logs of these numbers mainly just for general comparisons, but they aren't used in the actual equations on the equation sheet. Taking the log of the concentrations just gives you a different scale of the numbers you are comparing, the message is still the same.

Soobin Lim 2B

Postby Soobin Lim 2B » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:03 pm

For acids:
Use Ka when calculating concentrations of dissociated acid/conjugate base.
Use pKa when comparing relative acid strengths - lower pKa means stronger acid.

For bases:
Use Kb when calculating concentrations of dissociated base/conjugate acid.
Use pKb when comparing relative base strengths - lower pKb means stronger base.

Use Ka/Kb for calculations involving concentrations, and pKa/pKb for qualitatively assessing relative acid/base strengths.

Valeria Perez 3J

Postby Valeria Perez 3J » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:05 pm

To add on to the previous commenter, you usually want to use pKa when you are comparing acidity, as it gives a simpler, clearer picture. Low pKa will correspond with a stronger acid while higher pKa means a weaker acid. Same goes for pKb: it is useful when it comes to making comparisons of basicity. Low pKb=strong base, high pKb=weak base. Hope that makes sense!

Michelle Ramirez 3A

Postby Michelle Ramirez 3A » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:07 pm

ka and pKa are basically the same thing, pKa just helps with the math since it requires logarithms to solve. Useful formulas kinda put into perspective as to what to use. I usually use the formula that is easier given what the problem tells me so if given pKb and asked to find pKa the 14-pkb=pka. For Ka a suitable way to use this ka * kb = kw where kw is the autoionization of water I think. I hope this helps!

Postby 105561735 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:19 am

he acid dissociation constant (Ka) is used to quantify the extent of ionization of an acid in solution. It represents the equilibrium constant for the reaction of an acid with water to produce hydronium ions (H3O+) and its conjugate base. Ka values vary widely among different acids, with stronger acids having larger Ka values.The logarithmic form of Ka, known as pKa, is often used instead of Ka for convenience, especially when comparing the relative strengths of acids. It is defined as the negative logarithm (base 10) of the Ka value: pKa = -log(Ka. Use Ka when you need the actual numerical value of the acid dissociation constant.
Use pKa when you want to compare the relative strengths of acids more easily or when discussing acidity trends. Lower pKa values indicate stronger acids.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”