how to use ICE table?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emmy Son 4f

how to use ICE table?

Postby Emmy Son 4f » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 pm

What are the steps for using the ICE tables to solve equilibrium problems?

Megan Yabumoto 3K

Re: how to use ICE table?

Postby Megan Yabumoto 3K » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:58 pm

In cases where you are given the initial concentrations of some part of an equilibrium equation, you will need to use the ICE tables to be able to determine the equilibrium concentrations for the reaction. I stands for Initial concentrations, so you would write out whatever molarities that were given in the problem. C stands for the change in molar concentrations, which is usually written in a variable form (I.E. -x for reactants {because they are decreasing as the reaction proceeds} and +x for products {because as the initial reaction proceeds the reactants concentrations will be added by law of conservation}). And finally E is for equilibrium, which will turn out to be the addition or subtraction of the I and the C that is in the table depending on if it is a product or reactant. Plug these values of E into the equilibrium quotient and solve for x. (in these cases use the quadratic formula). Once you have x, you have to compare back to the E part of the table and plug in x to determine the final equilibrium concentrations.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”