When Should I use the ICE table?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Angelica Nava-1E

When Should I use the ICE table?

Postby Angelica Nava-1E » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 pm

I was having trouble identifying when I should use the ICE table. What is the exact purpose of it and how do I know when to use it?

Kayla_Black_2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: When Should I use the ICE table?

Postby Kayla_Black_2B » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:30 pm

I think the purpose of using an ICE table is when one wants to know the concentrations of components in a reaction at equilibrium when only given limited data such as initial concentrations and the reaction equilibrium constant. By solving for how each concentration is changed in a reaction (ICE table & quadratic formula), one is able to determine each concentration at equilibrium. It's not necessary to us an ICE table, but it's helpful to better organize one's work. Key words I look for to know when to use an ICE table are "determine molar concentrations in the mixture at equilibrium," "__ was placed into the reaction vessel," "initial," and "equilibrium concentrations." Make sure that whatever variable you use to denote a change in the equation is proportional. For example, when using X to represent change for one mole of a reactant, use 2X if there are two moles of a product.

Hope this helps!

PriscillaMariscal_3F

Postby PriscillaMariscal_3F » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:26 pm

For the ICE table do we to always have to use the quadratic equation? Or can we approximate any time the K is less than 10^-3?

Armo_Derbarsegian_3K

Postby Armo_Derbarsegian_3K » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:03 pm

You can approximate if you remember to check for the 5% rule after...to make sure you are within range.

Yeadam Seo 1E

Postby Yeadam Seo 1E » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:43 pm

Will we get points deducted for not using ice box?

Huongly Do 3D

Postby Huongly Do 3D » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:57 am

I assume so because the ICE box is a concept that is heavily incorporated into the course reader and the practice problems we see in the workbook quizzes.

edward_qiao_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby edward_qiao_3I » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:04 am

You should be using ICE when you're trying to track change in a reaction over time, esp from initial concentrations to equilibrium.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”