equilibrium constant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

equilibrium constant

Postby 704709603 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 am

Hi,
Why is a side favored when a rxn is at equilibrium? It seems like neither side should be favored if a rxn has the same forward and reverse rates? I guess I'm wondering why we can have a run at equilibrium with different concentrations on both sides, or are the rates and concentrations not related?

Rosalva_Mejia_41

Re: equilibrium constant

Postby Rosalva_Mejia_41 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:41 am

A side really isn't favored in equilibrium. Its simply if one side has more concentration of ions, then it'll be more. I don't think the rate is really related. Reverse and forward reactions go at the sams rate. And since it's at equilibrium, one side adapts to keep it that way.

michaeljwilson3

Postby michaeljwilson3 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:15 pm

This is a little off topic, but do we need to know how temperature affects equilibrium? If so, how does it?

Alyssa_Wieand_2G

Postby Alyssa_Wieand_2G » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:34 pm

I think we need to know the general way in which temperature affects equilibrium by first determining if the reaction is endothermic (heat added with reactants) or exothermic (heat added with products). If the reaction requires heat (endothermic), then heating will favor the forward direction/formation of products. If the reaction gives off heat (exothermic), then heating will favor the reverse direction/reactant formation.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”