Problem 11.7 (part a)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

aless_wu

Problem 11.7 (part a)

Postby aless_wu » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 pm

small question: I'm confused on how you can tell that the third flask is at equilibrium but not the other ones is all.
could someone explain?

Sarah_Wilen
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Problem 11.7 (part a)

Postby Sarah_Wilen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Equilibrium is when the rate of the forward reaction matches the rate of the reverse reaction. From looking at the flasks, you should know that you have reached equilibrium when it seems as though the reactions have stopped and no product or reactant is being made (even though you know because of dynamic equilibrium the reactions never actually stop).

In the first flask, there are 11 molecules of reactant and no dissociated atoms of the product. In the second flask, you see that atoms are starting to exist from the diatomic molecule, so you know that the first flask hasn't reached equilibrium yet. Next, I looked at the third flask and saw that there was less diatomic moleucles than in flask two. That means flask two hasn't reached equilibtrium yet because the contents are still changing. I finally compared flask three's componenets with flask four and saw that they were identical. This means the rate of the forward reaction matched the rate of the reverse reaction, so the reaction appears to have "stopped".
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 5.26.08 PM.png

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”