HW Question 11.43 and general question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Grace Ramey 2K

HW Question 11.43 and general question

Postby Grace Ramey 2K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 am

Can someone please explain question 43 from chapter 11 to me? I tried to use the ice box to figure out the relative concentrations of N2 and O2, but I am not sure I am doing it correctly. Also, as a more general question, how do you handle stoichiometric coefficients in the ice box? I believe the only examples we've done in class have coefficients of 1, but in this problem we are working with 2NO.

Thank you for your help!!

Yashaswi Dis 1K

Re: HW Question 11.43 and general question

Postby Yashaswi Dis 1K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 am

Hi,

I don't have the textbook with me right now. Maybe if you could please post the question up? For your general question, say I have 3H2 + N2 <---> 2NH3. To set up the ice table, let's assume that we have 0 NH3 initially and want to form that product. In the change section of the ICE table, we will do -3x for the Hydrogen, -x for the Nitrogen, and +2x for Ammonia. The numbers in front of the x correspond to the stoichiometric coefficient. So hydrogen has 3 moles so we subtract 3x and nitrogen has 1 mole so we subtract x and Ammonia has 2 moles so we add 2 moles. Then of course you can continue to solve the problem using k constant to solve for your final equilibrium concentrations.

Hope that helps!

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”