Video Module Post Assessment Question 12

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cole Elsner 2J

Video Module Post Assessment Question 12

Postby Cole Elsner 2J » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:40 pm

For this question I put that "The forward reaction rate is the same as the reverse reaction rate" was false, but it was marked wrong.
I thought the reverse reaction rate was 1/Kc, so I'm confused as to why this was incorrect. Thanks!

Albert Duong 4C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Video Module Post Assessment Question 12

Postby Albert Duong 4C » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:51 pm

K is the equilibrium constant and is the ratio of concentration or partial pressure of Product over Reactants (in the forward reaction) and Reactants over Products (in the reverse reaction) at equilibrium. K is associated with the reaction rate, but is different from the reaction rate because K is just the ratio of products to reactants (the reaction rate forward and reverse should be equal at equilibrium).

Amy Dinh 1A

Postby Amy Dinh 1A » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 pm

"12. For a chemical reaction that has reached equilibrium which statement is false?"
The question asked for you to select the false statement. You were correct that the forward reaction is the same as the reverse reaction rate, but that statement is not false.

Clarissa Cabil 1I

Postby Clarissa Cabil 1I » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:03 pm

You confused reaction rate with the equilibrium constant, K.

At equilibrium, the forward reaction occurs at the same rate of the reverse reaction. Therefore, the forward and reverse reaction RATES are equal.

However, we can say that the EQUILIBRIUM CONSTANT for the forward reaction is KC. This means that the EQUILIBRIUM CONSTANT for the reverse reaction is 1/KC.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”