"lie to the right" vs "shifted to the right"

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Hoegl Roy 2C

"lie to the right" vs "shifted to the right"

Postby Samantha Hoegl Roy 2C » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:50 am

In the first auto visual focus-topic, some questions ask about the meaning of "Lie to the right" and "shifted to the right":
With respect to equilibrium constants, what does it mean when a reaction is said to “lie to the right”?
With respect to equilibrium constants, what does it mean when the “equilibrium is shifted to the right”?
what exactly does that mean? what's the difference?

Jordan Lo 2A

Re: "lie to the right" vs "shifted to the right"

Postby Jordan Lo 2A » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:02 pm

I think both phrases mean that "to the right" has more products than reactants since products are on the right side of the equilibrium equation

Gary Qiao 1D

Postby Gary Qiao 1D » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Both essentially mean there are more products than reactants, but I'm assuming "lie to the right" refers to when the reaction has not yet reached equilibrium yet, while "equilibrium shifted to the right" has the equation already at equilibrium.

Samantha Hoegl Roy 2C

Postby Samantha Hoegl Roy 2C » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Gary Qiao 1D wrote:Both essentially mean there are more products than reactants, but I'm assuming "lie to the right" refers to when the reaction has not yet reached equilibrium yet, while "equilibrium shifted to the right" has the equation already at equilibrium.

that makes sense! But what does it mean for K? Is it K>1 for both ?

Gary Qiao 1D

Postby Gary Qiao 1D » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Samantha Hoegl Roy 2C wrote:
Gary Qiao 1D wrote:Both essentially mean there are more products than reactants, but I'm assuming "lie to the right" refers to when the reaction has not yet reached equilibrium yet, while "equilibrium shifted to the right" has the equation already at equilibrium.

that makes sense! But what does it mean for K? Is it K>1 for both ?

Yep I think so!

Tatum Keichline 2B

Postby Tatum Keichline 2B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:06 pm

There are more products, meaning that the reaction favors the products since products are on the right.

JiangJC Dis2K

Postby JiangJC Dis2K » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Lying or sitting to the right basically means that at equilibrium, there are more products than reactants based upon the equilibrium constant k being greater than 10^3. Shifted to the right implies a change to the reaction or conditions, shifting the reaction away from equilibrium and producing more products. We will probably get more into this when we learn about LeChatlier's.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”