Initial Concentration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Meachelle_Lum_1I

Initial Concentration

Postby Meachelle_Lum_1I » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:23 pm

When doing ICE tables and the initial concentration of a reactant/product is not given, do we just assume that it is 0?

Charles Gu 1D

Re: Initial Concentration

Postby Charles Gu 1D » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:33 pm

yes you can assume that

Sophia Ding 1B

Postby Sophia Ding 1B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:36 pm

When using ICE tables there will often be initial concentrations of 0, like for products (in forward reactions). In that example aspect, by solving for the "x" value, you are able to find the equilibrium concentration formed by the reactants for those products so I would assume you would just use 0 for the initial concentration of those not specified, as the goal of using these tables would be to find that concentration that is formed

JiangJC Dis2K

Postby JiangJC Dis2K » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:56 pm

I think you can always assume the initial concentration of a product is zero because the reaction has not occurred yet at the beginning and reactants are what are being formed. As for products, it is unlikely that the initial concentration is zero because then there is no reaction occurring because there is no input. If only one value is given, you can use a variable like "x" or some other notation to solve for the initial and equilibrium concentrations of all products and reactants.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”