Why Would Equilibrium cause death in humans?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

charlotte_jacobs_4I

Why Would Equilibrium cause death in humans?

Postby charlotte_jacobs_4I » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 am

I do not understand the concept that a human becoming at equilibrium means they are dead? Why would that be?

Josephine Lu 4L

Re: Why Would Equilibrium cause death in humans?

Postby Josephine Lu 4L » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm

I think that this would mean no dynamic equilibrium would be happening inside humans, as in no cellular processes would be occurring, because reactants have ceased becoming products and vice versa.

Theodore_Herring_1A

Postby Theodore_Herring_1A » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Many human processes require gradients in order to function (gradients are a form of potential energy). If our bodies were at equilibrium, many reactions would not proceed past enough for our bodies to function.

Marina Gollas 1A

Postby Marina Gollas 1A » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello,
Here is a link that might help you understand this concept. :)
http://www.biocab.org/Irreversibility.html

"When individual living organisms lose their capacity to transfer their equilibrium toward the universe, they will be in equilibrium. This is our understanding of death as it fully obeys the laws of thermodynamics; which establish that all systems in the universe tend imperatively to increase their equilibrium (absolute stability).

If, for example, living organisms could somehow become isolated systems, thus becoming capable of violating the second law of thermodynamics, then they would never die, but in the real world, of course, this does not happen. For example, if I were to isolate a mouse inside a box, completely insulated from any external influence, the mouse would simply die; or we could say that the mouse had reached a state of equilibrium.

Even if the universe were an isolated system, it would still tend toward absolute equilibrium, a terminal state often cited as 'the thermal death of the universe'."

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”