Difference between C and P?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tyra Nguyen 4H

Difference between C and P?

Postby Tyra Nguyen 4H » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

When looking at equilibrium reactions where there are products and reactants in a gas state, how do I know when to use molar concentration (with square brackets in equilibrium constant equations) or the partial pressure (P in equilibrium constant equations)?

I understand that it often depends on the context of the equation, but I am working on question 11.13 (6th edition), and the question simply gives a reaction, so I am not sure which variable is more appropriate.

Chloe Thorpe 1J

Re: Difference between C and P?

Postby Chloe Thorpe 1J » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm

I think that for part b, you would use the concentration because the products are aqueous solutions. Whereas if they were gases, you would use the partial pressure.

Sean Reyes 1J

Postby Sean Reyes 1J » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Because part A) is in terms of gases, you would use the partial pressures of the gases.

Kristen Kim 2K

Postby Kristen Kim 2K » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

I would say to use Qp when the reactants and products are in gaseous state, and use Qc when the reactants and products are in aqueous state.

Eshwar Venkat 1F

Postby Eshwar Venkat 1F » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

If they just give the formula, I think it's safe to write the formula using partial pressure when gases are present, and use concentration brackets when aqueous compounds are present. However, if they give concentration numbers for gases, you can calculate K using those values.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”