ICE Table Units

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Fiona Jackson 1D

ICE Table Units

Postby Fiona Jackson 1D » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:30 pm

When completing an ICE table, should you use molarity or moles? Or when should you use molarity and when should you use moles?

Brittney McCown 1C

Re: ICE Table Units

Postby Brittney McCown 1C » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm pretty sure you can use either as long as you remain consistent through the whole table

aisteles1G

Postby aisteles1G » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 pm

I think we always use molarity within ICE tables since molarity gives the concentration in the solution (moles per liter), whereas moles would just give the amount of substance without taking into account the volume of where it is in and therefore not qualifying as a 'concentration' value. Im pretty sure all problems give you the information needed to convert to molarity, so thats another clue to convert and then use molarity!

Shubham Rai 2C

Postby Shubham Rai 2C » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 pm

I agree you should use molarity during the ICE table problems as you have to deal with the value of K, and K requires you to solve for the molarity. So it's more convenient to use the molarity.

Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I

Postby Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:23 pm

I've seen ICE tables use moles on a Khan Academy video on acid base titrations. Personally, if they give you a volume, its probably a hint to use molarity. Dr. Lavelle's future lectures on acids and bases may shed more light on this.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”