Equilibrium constants

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

melissa_dis4K

Equilibrium constants

Postby melissa_dis4K » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:27 am

This is a question from the module, I just would like an explanation for why equilibrium constants are useful. I know that the equilibrium constant is equal to the [products]/[reactants]. But I don't understand what the answer would be if the choices are:
A. One number that gives us information about the relative concentrations of reactant and product.

B. One number that gives us information about the relative production rates of reactant and product.

C. One number that gives us information about the relative activation energies of reactant and product.

D. None of the above.
Thank you!

MichaelMoreno2G

Re: Equilibrium constants

Postby MichaelMoreno2G » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Personally, I believe equilibrium constants are important because they tell us how reversible a reaction is. For instance, if K>1, the reaction favors products. If K=1, there is an equal amount of products and reactants. If k<1, reactants are favored.

Milena Aragon 2B

Re: Equilibrium constants

Postby Milena Aragon 2B » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:06 pm

I think it might be none of the above because the value of K gives you a sense of where the equilibrium lies for a chemical reaction. If the value is large, it means equilibrium favors the products (since P is in the numerator). If the value is small, it favors the reactants (because the value of R in the denominator is larger).

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”