Temperature Affecting equilibrium constant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Jardon 1I

Temperature Affecting equilibrium constant

Postby Cecilia Jardon 1I » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:46 pm

If the equilibrium constant can only be affected by temperature how would it change? Like if the temperature increased would the equilibrium constant increase/ decrease. Or is that something we are not supposed to know?

Michael Novelo 4G

Re: Temperature Affecting equilibrium constant

Postby Michael Novelo 4G » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 pm

If you refer to page 402 in the 7th edition of the book and look at Table 5G.2 you can see how the equilibrium constant changes with increased temperature on different equations. Each equation reacts differently so there's no specific rule I believe if you increase temperature. It's more of a conceptual question I believe if were asked if temperature affects K which is true, it is affected.

Re: Temperature Affecting equilibrium constant

Postby 204929947 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Did Professor Lavelle ever teach us how to determine the equilibrium if the temperature changes? Or would we just ignore the temperature and when he asks us about this, we would just answer it saying temperature affects equilibrium?

I know that:
When the reaction is endothermic, while forming product then heating will favor the product formation
When the reaction is exothermic, while forming product then heating will favor reaction formation

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”