Gibbs free energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Savannah Mance 4G

Gibbs free energy

Postby Savannah Mance 4G » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:50 pm

The problem 5G.1 (d) asks if it's true or false that the gibs free energy is greater than the standard gibs free energy will proceed to equilibrium. Isn't this false because the gibs free energy must go to 0 to reach equilibrium rather than be bigger?

Ipsita Srinivas 1K

Re: Gibbs free energy

Postby Ipsita Srinivas 1K » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:31 pm

I believe the textbook talks about the “reaction Gibbs energy,” which is the difference between the molar free energies of the products and reactants at any stage of the reaction (to quote the txtbk). Here the Gibbs free energy isn't zero, but the change in Gibbs free energy (which is labelled as reaction Gibbs energy! This is kinda confusing, but normal Gibbs energy and reaction Gibbs energy are two different things). Now, this change, or reaction Gibbs energy is zero at equilibrium only. If the reaction Gibbs energy is not zero, the reaction itself is not at equilibrium, and will adjust so the reaction Gibbs energy becomes zero.

Ipsita Srinivas 1K

Postby Ipsita Srinivas 1K » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Idk if my explanation above makes sense because it's so long, but basically the difference in Gibbs energy (the reaction Gibbs energy) has a standard value at equilibrium (which is zero). If the actual value during reaction is not zero, sorta like Le Chateliers' principle, the reaction will proceed in a way so that the reaction will reach equilibrium i.e attempt to make the reaction Gibbs energy zero. So, the textbook answer should be true (I think).

Savannah Mance 4G

Postby Savannah Mance 4G » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:26 pm

Okay, that makes a lot of sense!!!! Thank you :)

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”