Are Both L and Aq Excluded From Equilibrium Constant Expressions?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michellekim1H

Are Both L and Aq Excluded From Equilibrium Constant Expressions?

Postby Michellekim1H » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 pm

So, I know that solids and liquids are not supposed to be included in Kc but I was wondering if Aq is excluded as well. Isn’t Aq liquid too? Also, I still don’t really understand why these things are excluded from the expression so can someone please explain to me why.

Sebastian Lee 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Are Both L and Aq Excluded From Equilibrium Constant Expressions?

Postby Sebastian Lee 1L » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:08 pm

Michellekim1H wrote:So, I know that solids and liquids are not supposed to be included in Kc but I was wondering if Aq is excluded as well. Isn’t Aq liquid too? Also, I still don’t really understand why these things are excluded from the expression so can someone please explain to me why.

Aq is included in the equilibrium constant expression. A molecule that is aqueous means that it is surrounded by water molecules (aka dissolved in water) but isn't actually a pure liquid. We never exclude aqueous solutions because these are very important since their concentration (moles per liter) changes in equilibrium reactions. It is only PURE liquids and solids that are excluded from the expression. This is because their concentrations don't really change as the reaction reaches equilibrium. Even though they're important in the reaction, their concentrations don't significantly change. For example, if you have something dissolving in a solvent, there will be so much excess solvent that doesn't react with the solute that the concentration is essentially unchanged. For solids, it just doesn't even make sense talking about moles per liter of a solid by itself.

Miriam Villarreal 1J

Postby Miriam Villarreal 1J » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 pm

Pure solids and liquids are not included in the equilibrium constant expression. This is because they do not affect the reactant amount at equilibrium in the reaction, so they are disregarded. We can't increase the concentration of a pure liquid or pure solid and hence they are omitted from the expression

Jainam Shah 4I

Postby Jainam Shah 4I » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:00 am

Only pure solids and pure liquids are omitted from the equilibrium constant expression, because the concentration of a solid doesn't not make sense and for pure liquids the change in concentrations is very insignificant because it acts as a solvent.

Jialun Chen 4F

Postby Jialun Chen 4F » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:59 am

Aqueous solutions should be included in the equilibrium expression. Only solid (s) and liquid (q) are excluded.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”