Exercise 5G.1

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Zaynab Hashm 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Exercise 5G.1

Postby Zaynab Hashm 2I » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:17 pm

5G.1 is true/false

c) if one starts with a higher pressure of reactant, the equilibrium constant will be larger

d) if one starts with a higher concentrations of reactants, the equilibrium concentrations of the products will be larger

my question is, why is c) false and why is d) true, what would the explanations be?

Kylie Lim 4G

Re: Exercise 5G.1

Postby Kylie Lim 4G » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:23 pm

As long as the temperature is constant, K will have the same value for a reaction even if more reactants are added. This is because K is a [P]/[R], so adding more reactant will eventually lead to more product which will reduce to the same value of K.

aishwarya_atmakuri

Postby aishwarya_atmakuri » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:25 pm

C is asking about the equilibrium constant, which is a fixed value. D is asking about equilibrium concentrations, which depend on the initial reactions.

Prasanna Padmanabham 4I

Postby Prasanna Padmanabham 4I » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:26 pm

c) if one starts with a higher pressure of reactant, the equilibrium constant will be larger

This is false because the equilibrium constant will stay the same for reactions happening at the same temperature. Having a "greater pressure" of the reactant will affect or cause a shift to the left and reaction will produce more products to achieve equilibrium so the ratio pressures (Kp) of reactants and products will be the same.

d) if one starts with a higher concentrations of reactants, the equilibrium concentrations of the products will be larger

The keyword here is CONCENTRATION. If you have more reactants when the reaction reaches equilibrium, there will be more products produced and the ratio of Products to Reactants will equal Kc.

Postby 205405339 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:27 pm

according to one of the TA's, a Higher pressure of the reactant just implies that more reactant was added and the presence of reactants/products does not affect the equilibrium constant. Also, for d, a higher amount of reactants will yield a higher amount of products thus initial concentrations will increase

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”