5G1

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

MaryBanh_2K

5G1

Postby MaryBanh_2K » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:04 pm

When does the amount of reactant and product affect the reaction? In HW 5G1, these two statements are false:
An equilibrium rxn is not affected by increasing the concentration of products.
If one starts with a higher pressure of reactant, the equilibrium constant will be larger.
In this problem are we looking at the term “equilibrium rxn and equilibrium constant” interchangeably? Does having a higher concentration/ pressure of a product or reactant affect the equilibrium constant/ equilibrium rxn or not? Can someone explain this in terms of the equation?

Jacey Yang 1F

Re: 5G1

Postby Jacey Yang 1F » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Equilibrium rxns are affected by the amount of products and reactants. The equilibrium constant represents the P/R ratio at equilibrium, which is not affected by the higher pressure of reactant since the temperature is constant.

Hui Qiao Wu 1I

Re: 5G1

Postby Hui Qiao Wu 1I » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:52 am

I wouldn't recommend using equilibrium reaction and constant interchangeably in this case because one is the reaction itself and the other is the ration of products and reactants. Like Jacey said, the constant is [P]/[R}, which depends on the equation. The equilibrium equation would be affected by the concentration of products because the more products you have, the more it goes to the left side.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”