stoichiometric coefficients

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JustinHorriat_4f

stoichiometric coefficients

Postby JustinHorriat_4f » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 pm

how are stoichiometric coefficients involved in Equilibrium? Why when they are the same, its still in equilibrium?

Renee Grange 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: stoichiometric coefficients

Postby Renee Grange 1I » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:22 pm

When writing the equilibrium constant K, the stoichiometric coefficients are the exponents to the concentrations of each part of the reaction.

Amy Kumar 1I

Postby Amy Kumar 1I » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Stoichiometric coefficients are the exponents that show that there multiples quantities of the substance. In this case, the concentration values are raised to the power of the stoichiometric coefficients.

gconcha

Postby gconcha » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 pm

As stoichiometric coefficients represent the quantity of molecules of a chemical that is affecting or being effected by the reaction, the model for calculating Q or K represents the difference in how the amount of those chemicals affects the reaction per amount of chemical added. In this case, when moles (amount) of a chemical substance is added, it affects the reaction exponentially.

The ratio of products to reactants stays the same in the Q or K equation, but different factors applied to the reaction equation will fundamentally change the way that the chemical substances interact. Just as dropping a marble into a cup of water is different than dropping a boulder into a lake, larger amounts of chemicals will not react in the same way as small, usually test amounts of chemicals will.

Alondra

Postby Alondra » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Stoichiometric coefficients are not always the same values in an equation. It only shows the number of molecules present and from there you have to make sure that it's balanced. In the expression for K these appear as exponents.

Jeremy_Guiman2E

Postby Jeremy_Guiman2E » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 pm

how are stoichiometric coefficients involved in Equilibrium? Why when they are the same, its still in equilibrium?

Stoichiometric coefficients are involved in the equilibrium equation as they are the exponents used for the concentrations. It is important to ensure the equation is balanced first. To determine if a chemical system is in equilibrium, you can compare the Q and K values to see if they are equal.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”