The Value of Kw

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Charisse Vu 1H

The Value of Kw

Postby Charisse Vu 1H » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Can the value of Kw ever change? I remember Professor Lavelle talking about temperature being able to change Kw but I don't really recall why or if temperature was the only factor that could change its value.

Tiffany_Chen 2K

Re: The Value of Kw

Postby Tiffany_Chen 2K » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:15 pm

Yes, increasing temperature will increase the value of Kw as the autoprotolysis of water is endothermic (so increasing heat will lead to formation of more products).

Ryan Chang 1C

Postby Ryan Chang 1C » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:18 pm

The value of Kw changes when heat is added to the system. Since the autoprotolysis of water is an endothermic reaction, adding heat will increase the value of Kw because the reaction will favor the formation of products more. In other words, the equilibrium will shift to the right.

Esha Chawla 2E

Postby Esha Chawla 2E » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Charisse Vu 1H wrote:Can the value of Kw ever change? I remember Professor Lavelle talking about temperature being able to change Kw but I don't really recall why or if temperature was the only factor that could change its value.

He discussed this some more today. Temperature is the only factor that can change Kw. Thus, if you increase the temperature, the Kw value will also change. In an exothermic reaction, when you increase the temperature, there will be more reactants; thus, the Kw value will decrease. On the other hand, in an endothermic reaction, when you increase the temperature, there will be more products; thus, the Kw value will increase.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”