relationship between K and temp

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

relationship between K and temp

Postby 405318478 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:41 am

Hello,
I thought that when temperature increased, so did K. However I'm looking at 5J.13 and the K given for a higher temperature is smaller than the K given for a lower temperature. Could someone clarify the relationship between temperature and K?

romina_4C

Re: relationship between K and temp

Postby romina_4C » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 am

The relationship between K and temperature also depends on whether or not the reaction is endothermic or exothermic. If a reaction is endothermic and you are increasing the temperature, it is as if you are increasing the reactants, and thus the equilibrium reaction will favor the products (forward reaction) and the value of K will increase, as K is the ratio of the concentration of products over the concentration of the reactants. It is basically the same thing as applying Le Chatalier's principle when a reaction is endothermic or exothermic, but now you have to consider the effect on K when forming more reactants or more products.

Jasmine Fendi 1D

Re: relationship between K and temp

Postby Jasmine Fendi 1D » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:23 pm

I agree with the comment above! In short, an increase in temp means that you are applying more energy, so the products/reactants with the higher energy level would be favored

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”