memorizing acids?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Payton Kammerer 2B

memorizing acids?

Postby Payton Kammerer 2B » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:09 pm

This should be in the acid/base section, but my laptop is only giving me the equilibrium section followed immediately by thermodynamics in the Chem 14B menu. Sorry!

In the review session this morning, one of the questions listed 4 acids by name and then asked which one had the most protons. It has been over a year since I've taken chem 14A, and I definitely no longer have those ions memorized to try to figure this out on an exam. Should I be worried about a question like this on the final?

Myka G 1l

Re: memorizing acids?

Postby Myka G 1l » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:10 am

I would at least know the strong acids and bases, usually on the test they’ll give a formula for the more complex ones.

Adriana_4F

Postby Adriana_4F » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:13 am

You should also know how to determine if it is a strong or weak acid! Strong acid--> greater Ka bc protons dissociate more. weak acid-->lower Ka

jisulee1C

Postby jisulee1C » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:17 am

I would memorize the strong acids. There are 7 strong acids: chloric acid, hydrobromic acid, hydrochloric acid, hydroiodic acid, nitric acid, perchloric acid, and sulfuric acid. Knowing which acids are strong are important to solve problems for dissociation, Ka, and pH of the solution.

Morgan Carrington 2H

Postby Morgan Carrington 2H » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 am

Definitely memorize the strong acids and strong bases and I think it would be helpful to memorize a few of the most common weak acids (such as acetic acid and formic acid) and weak bases (mostly just ammonia). It helps me to see something on the test that I am familiar with when doing a test for a confidence boost!

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”