Kc vs Kp

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sid Panda 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Kc vs Kp

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:52 am

When they are calculated, are Kc and Kp the same value? I know one deals with concentration while other deals with pressures. I was curious if the values turn out the same.

If they aren't the same, then what would we use each equilibrium constant for?

Evie Li_1H

Re: Kc vs Kp

Postby Evie Li_1H » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:58 am

Kc is the equilibrium constant given by the terms of concentration whereas Kp is the equilibrium constant given by the terms of pressure. You only use Kp when you're dealing with gases since liquids and solids don't necessarily change pressure, but gases can be compressed. Both should be calculated the same way, it's just a matter of labeling your answer correctly I believe.

Ivy Tan 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Ivy Tan 1E » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 am

Hi! I think the Kc and Kp values are the same once they're calculated out. The only difference is when calculating Kc, you use the concentrations of each molecule and when calculating Kp, you use the partial pressures of each gas. Hope this helps!!

Andrew Wang 1C
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Andrew Wang 1C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:41 pm

While Kc and Kp are calculated the same way, I don't think they are equal in value. Kp can be used if the reaction involves only gases, while Kc can be used for gases and aqueous solutions. The problem will usually tell you which one to solve for by looking at the units (moles for Kc, atm or bar for Kp).

Joey_Okumura_1E

Postby Joey_Okumura_1E » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm

Kc uses the equilibrium molar concentrations while Kp uses the equilibrium partial pressures. Their values will be different. Kp = Kc(RT)^(delta n)

Jessica Katz
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Jessica Katz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:48 pm

I believe that you will end up with two different values for the kp and the kc its just a matter of what numbers you are plugging into the k expression. When it is kp, all of the values will be converted to the partial pressure and for kc, the values need to be in terms of concentration. It will result in the same findings, like determining whether the forward or reverse reaction is favored, but the actual values will be different because different values are being plugged in and manipulated.

Charlotte Adams 1A

Postby Charlotte Adams 1A » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:50 pm

I believe the values will be different but if you need to convert one to the other you can use the equation PV=nRT.

Xinying Wang_3C

Postby Xinying Wang_3C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:33 pm

Kc is about the molar equilibrium concentration, Kp is the equilibrium partial pressure, and they are two different values.

Jamie Wang 3C

Postby Jamie Wang 3C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 pm

The values are different because one is talking about the concentration (mol/L) of each component, while the other is talking about the pressure.

To convert use PV=nRT

P = (n/V)RT

n/V = concentration because it is amount over volume (ex: mols/liters)

Kimiya Aframian IB

Postby Kimiya Aframian IB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Sid Panda 3A wrote:When they are calculated, are Kc and Kp the same value? I know one deals with concentration while other deals with pressures. I was curious if the values turn out the same.

If they aren't the same, then what would we use each equilibrium constant for?

Hi! The Kc and Kp values are calculated in the same way, except the final answer for Kc is concerning concentration while Kp is concerning pressure. It is important to note that Kp is usually used in reactions where there are only gases. Hope this helps!

Grecia Velasco 1G

Postby Grecia Velasco 1G » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 pm

From my understanding:
Kc is for concentrations (mol.L^-1) and Kp is for pressure (bars). The thing is, gases can also be calculated with concentrations so it can use Kc and Kp it just depends what you're given.
If this is incorrect someone please tell me haha.

Katie Le 3K

Postby Katie Le 3K » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:31 pm

Both are calculated the same way. Kc uses concentration Kp uses pressure.

Adrienne Yuh 2B

Postby Adrienne Yuh 2B » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:54 pm

Calculation wise, both use the same steps except Kc is using concentration and Kp is pressure.

Vivian_Le_1L

Postby Vivian_Le_1L » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:07 pm

In terms of steps, I believe it's the same K = [product]/[reactant], but Kc uses concentration and Kp uses partial pressure. You can use PV=nRT to convert concentration to pressure and vice versa. Also, Kp is only for gases, while Kc is for gases and aqueous solutions. I think the values will be different depending on which one you're looking for.

JaesalSoma1E
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby JaesalSoma1E » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:04 pm

Kc refers to the equilibrium constant in concentration problems and Kp refers to the equilibrium constant in pressure problems

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”