Textbook Table 5G.2

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Cisneros 1F

Textbook Table 5G.2

Postby Cecilia Cisneros 1F » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:00 am

When we refer to the textbook table for the homework problems how do we know which equilibrium constant to use? I used a Kc value for a question asking to find the equilibrium concentrations, but the homework used the K value. I assumed that K by itself should only be used for finding partial pressures? (For reference the two values were different for this reaction so I went with Kc rather than K).

OwenSumter_2F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Textbook Table 5G.2

Postby OwenSumter_2F » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 am

K is the more common equilibrium constant, and as a general rule we will most likely be working with K, as that is what a reaction will tend to level off to.

Darlene Lien 3E

Postby Darlene Lien 3E » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:44 am

Hi, so when the homework tells you to look at Table 5G.2 for the K value, you look at the temperature they give you in the problem and then locate the K value that has that respective temperature. Hope this helps!

Lisa Seidl 3H
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Lisa Seidl 3H » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:55 am

When you are calculating for the equilibrium constant from the thermodynamics table (using Gibbs free energy for example) then you can only use K but other than that you can use Kc if you want to find the equilibrium in terms of molar concentration rather than partial pressure.

Sreeram Kurada 3H

Postby Sreeram Kurada 3H » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:00 am

Yeah, I think K is just a general term referring to the equilibrium constant, and Kp and Kc are specific into whether they are calculating for the equilibrium constant based on pressure or concentration.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”