Sapling #5 on finding k

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Blake Ballew 1H

Sapling #5 on finding k

Postby Blake Ballew 1H » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:26 pm

The problem states:

Consider the reaction of NH3 and I2 to give N2 and HI.
2NH3(g)+3I2(g)↽−−⇀N2(g)+6HI(g) K

Using two or more of the given equations, determine the equilibrium constant, K , for the reaction of NH3 with I2.

H2(g)+I2(g)↽−−⇀2HI(g) Ka=160
I2(g)↽−−⇀2I(g) Kb=2.1×10−3
N2(g)+3H2(g)↽−−⇀2NH3(g) Kc=3.6×10−2
H2(g)+Cl2(g)↽−−⇀2HCl(g) Kd=4.0×1018

I found all the other problems in this homework to be pretty easy but I am totally lost on where to start with this one. How do I combine the information from two of these equations in order to determine k without any given moles or concentrations or anything? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Sapling #5 on finding k

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:00 pm

You basically just combine equations to get the equation you want. Equations can be reversed, in which case the K value would now be equal to 1/K, and the equation can be multiplied by a number, in which case the K value would be raised to the power of that number. For this question, multiplying the first equation by 3 and reversing the third equation will result in original equation, 2NH3(g)+3I2(g)↽−−⇀N2(g)+6HI(g). From here you can just adjust the K values and multiply the new K values of both equations to find the K value of the original reaction.

Hope this helps!

Charlene D 3H

Re: Sapling #5 on finding k

Postby Charlene D 3H » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi! I approached this problem by rearranging the given reactions and using the following knowledge.
1) know that when you are adding/combining reactions together the K values are multiplied. ie) rxn1 + rxn2 has a K value of K1*K2.
2) the K of a reverse reaction is just 1/K
3) If a molecule has the same amount of moles on both sides of a reaction, it cancels
4) when you add a coefficient (n) to a reaction, the K's value is raised to the nth power
After knowing the above, you should be able to find your K!
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”