When to use ice table

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eileen Quach Dis 2A

When to use ice table

Postby Eileen Quach Dis 2A » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:58 pm

When do we know when to use the ICE table? I'm not sure how to tell if the concentration that's given in a problem is the concentration at equilibrium already or if its a concentration not at equilibrium.

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: When to use ice table

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:05 pm

You typically use an ICE table when you are given initial concentrations. The question should state if the concentration is at equilibrium, or say that the initial values are given. If the concentrations of all the species in the reaction are given and you are asked to find the K value, those values are likely to already be at equilibrium. On the other hand, if the initial concentration of two reactants are given, along with a K value, and the question asks for the concentrations of the reactants and products at equilibrium, then you would need to use an ICE table.

Hope this helps!

SophiaNguyen_2L

Postby SophiaNguyen_2L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:07 pm

I think most times, you're going to have to use an ice table unless the problem explicitly states the concentrations all the reactants and products at equilibrium. From what I've noticed in the Sapling homework, problems that typically just say that a reactant/product is placed in a container to react means that you need to use an ice table. I hope this helps!

Rose_Malki_3G

Postby Rose_Malki_3G » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:21 pm

You typically use ice chart when you know the reactants aren't being used up to completion. Usually you are given the initial conditions and you are trying to find the change in concentrations in order to determine the final equilibrium concentrations.

Catie Donohue 2K

Postby Catie Donohue 2K » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:06 pm

If you are given any initial concentrations (either implicitly or explicitly) in the equation along with the value for K (which can be given directly or calculated if you're given equilibrium concentrations), it seems like you use the ICE Box method for this class.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”