identifying solids and non homogeneous reactant/product

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cristian Cortes 1L

identifying solids and non homogeneous reactant/product

Postby Cristian Cortes 1L » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:13 pm

1. how can we know if a element is a solid or non homogeneous reactant/products? Is it just from prior knowledge or a way to know if we are not sure ?

Jillian Labador 3E

Re: identifying solids and non homogeneous reactant/product

Postby Jillian Labador 3E » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi Cristian! I believe the chemical equation will include the phases (s, l, aq, or g) of all the chemical species in the reaction. I don't think we would have to figure out their phase.

Arezo Ahmadi 3J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Arezo Ahmadi 3J » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 pm

Usually in the equation, the phases are stated next to the reactants and products. Solids are identified as (s), liquids as (l), aqueous solutions as (aq), and gases as (g).

John Antowan 1K

Postby John Antowan 1K » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:20 pm

Jillian Labador 2F wrote:Hi Cristian! I believe the chemical equation will include the phases (s, l, aq, or g) of all the chemical species in the reaction. I don't think we would have to figure out their phase.

I think Jillian is correct. In all the questions we have been given so far, I haven't seen anything about having to figure out the phase of the species. It should be given as not knowing would probably have a significant effect on our result when we calculate something like the equilibrium constant.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”