Sapling HW #2

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

cadytran1K

Sapling HW #2

Postby cadytran1K » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:33 pm

At a certain temperature, 0.860 mol SO3 is placed in a 4.00 L container.

2SO3(g)↽−−⇀2SO2(g)+O2(g)

At equilibrium, 0.180 mol O2 is present. Calculate Kc.

I'm having a little bit of trouble for this question. Would I just start by creating an ICE table?

Carolina 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Sapling HW #2

Postby Carolina 3E » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:37 pm

Yes, fill in the information for the ICE table. You have the initial concentration of SO3 and the equilibrium concentration of O2. Using the equilibrium concentration of O2, you can figure out the change and fill out the rest of the table and use the equilibrium values to calculate Kc.

EmilyGillen_1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby EmilyGillen_1A » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:47 pm

Yes, use an ICE box to help you solve this problem. One of the best indicators that you need to use ICE is because it asks you to find Kc, and Kc requires the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. The problem is, you only know 1 equilibrium concentration but you need to know all eq. concentrations *enter ICE box*. If you plug in your known and unknown (using molar ratios to help guide you) you can find the mystery adjustment "x" and use "x" to find the final equilibrium concentrations, which gives you Kc. Anytime you need to find Kc or the equilibrium concentrations (or reverse things like initial concentrations, given Kc and eq. concentrations) an ICE box will help you get there.

Mitzy Garcia 1k

Postby Mitzy Garcia 1k » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 pm

Yes, use the ICE table. I converted the units for SO3 and O2. I did this by using mol and L to equal to M. I hope that helps.
Attachments
IMG_3307.jpg

cadytran1K

Postby cadytran1K » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:17 pm

Mitzy Garcia 1k wrote:Yes, use the ICE table. I converted the units for SO3 and O2. I did this by using mol and L to equal to M. I hope that helps.

This is very helpful!! Thank you (:

Gian Boco 2G

Postby Gian Boco 2G » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:35 am

Yep, just use the ice box and the molar ratios for the "change" column. Then use the equilibrium value given to solve for those x's and then plug them back in to get the actual mole values at equilibrium. Then divide by the volume to get M, and then plug it in to the eq. expression.

Julianna Shimabukuro 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Julianna Shimabukuro 1D » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:36 am

Divide the mol of SO3 by the L to get the concentration and create an ICE table with the concentrations of SO3, SO2, and O2. Put the changes in the "C" section and combine the concentrations and change in the "E" section. To find x, you do not have to use the quadratic formula as O2 is x, and you can find x by dividing the equilibrium concentration of O2 by dividing mol/L. Then, you substitute this x into the "E" section to find the different concentrations. Lastly, divide the concentrations of the products by the concentrations of the reactants to find Kc. Hope this helps!

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”