Pure Liquids (Solutes)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Wasila Sun 2I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Pure Liquids (Solutes)

Postby Wasila Sun 2I » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:27 pm

Other than H20, are there any other solutes of pure liquids that we should know? If we don't need to memorize it, how can you tell something will be a pure liquid or solute and insignificant to the calculations?

Crystal Pan 2G

Re: Pure Liquids (Solutes)

Postby Crystal Pan 2G » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:43 pm

Dr. Lavelle tells us to write the chemical reaction with the (l) or (aq), as an easier way to identify if something is a pure liquid. Typically problems will include the chemical reaction, specifying which of the reactants and products are liquids or solids, and which are aqueous and gases.

JoshMoore2B

Postby JoshMoore2B » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Wasila Sun 2I wrote:Other than H20, are there any other solutes of pure liquids that we should know? If we don't need to memorize it, how can you tell something will be a pure liquid or solute and insignificant to the calculations?

I believe we don't need to know which compounds are pure liquids or pure solids for this class, and that if that is something we need to be aware of, we will be given the chemical reaction with the compounds that are solid or liquid being labeled as (s) or (l).

Vanshika Bhushan 1A

Postby Vanshika Bhushan 1A » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:53 pm

Compounds are usually labeled as (s) for solid or (l) for liquid

Ashley Kim 3H

Postby Ashley Kim 3H » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:53 pm

I don't think there are any other pure liquids we should be memorizing, but if there are, they would be notated as a (l) in the chemical equation.

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:55 pm

This might be an oversimplification but my understanding is that anything labeled in the equation with (s) or (l) should not be included in the K expression. I think only substances that are either gaseous or aqueous should be included.

Simer_Shera_2D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Simer_Shera_2D » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Although we don't have to memorize anything, I would just pay attention to the states of matter indication in chemical equations when they are given, or if wording like "pure liquid" is used in a problem.

Alexandra Salata 2L

Postby Alexandra Salata 2L » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:19 pm

We don’t have to memorise the states of any compounds or elements. Pretty sure they will be given to us in the exam.
(S) solid
(L) liquid
(G) Gas
(Aq) Aqueous

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”