Water in Reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lilly Catarozoli 1B

Water in Reactions

Postby Lilly Catarozoli 1B » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:02 pm

When do we include water in K calculations? Lavelle said something about when it is not a solvent but I am still confused. Thanks!

KatarinaReid_3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Water in Reactions

Postby KatarinaReid_3H » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:08 pm

No pure substances (liquids and solids) go into the K expression. Therefore, if water is liquid and everything else in the equation is aqueous then it won't go into the K expression because water in liquid form is the solvent and will be present in a huge quantity compared to the other species in solution. The only case that I have seen where water was included in the K expression was when it was in gas form with the other species also in gas form because then water was not the solvent.

Juliet Cushing_2H

Postby Juliet Cushing_2H » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:36 pm

Include water in its gas form because it yields a partial pressure. When we look at reactions in solutions we almost always see water as a solvent (I've never seen a problem where another species is the solvent). If water is the solvent then omit it from Keq equations [A]/[B] because moles Water / Liters Water won't produce a concentration (thats just a pure liquid). I guess theoretically, if you have mols of water / Liters of a different solvent chemical, then water might have a concentration? But im 99.999% sure we won't see that in chem 14b. So essentially, include water in K when is is a gas with a partial pressure.

Siwa Hwang 3G

Postby Siwa Hwang 3G » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:03 pm

when the water is in aqueous or gaseous form

Eileen Quach Dis 2A

Postby Eileen Quach Dis 2A » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:08 pm

You only include water in reactions when it's not a liquid. Liquids or solids aren't included in k because they're in so much excess that any change to their concentration doesn't change their overall concentration by much so their concentrations would cancel out in the numerator and the denominator of k.

Vanshika Bhushan 1A

Postby Vanshika Bhushan 1A » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:19 pm

Water is omitted from the equilibrium expression only if it is a solvent in that reaction because it is a pure liquid. We can't increase the concentration of a pure liquid or pure solid.

VincentLe_3A

Postby VincentLe_3A » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 pm

We only include water in equilibrium constant K calculations when water is not in excess as a solvent. Essentially, this means only include water in K calculations when it is in its gaseous phase with a partial pressure, where it does not act as a solvent in the system.

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi! I believe you can use water when it is in an aqueous or gaseous form since the equilibrium constant can only be calculated with concentrations of gases or aqueous solutions.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”