Homework number six

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Homework number six

Postby 805377003 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:24 pm

On sapling problem number six I am having hard time identifying which are acidic, basic, or neutral. Can someone explain how you can tell?

HilaGelfer_2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Homework number six

Postby HilaGelfer_2H » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:27 pm

Hi

In order to identify if a salt is acidic basic or neutral you have to break it apart into the anion and the cation. Then the key rule to remember is that the conjugate acids of weak bases make a salt acidic and the conjugate bases of weak acids make the sale basic. Based on these rules, you can then identify if the anion or cation comes from the conjugate acid/base of a weak acid/base.

I hope this helps :)

Sonel Raj 3I

Postby Sonel Raj 3I » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:21 pm

I agree with what the reply above me said, and also recommend you look at the 2 tables in section 6D.3 in the textbook to get examples of what you should look for when deciding whether an anion/cation is basic/acidic!

keely_bales_1f

Postby keely_bales_1f » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:42 pm

I would definitely review materials for chem 14a if you had Lavelle, specifically strong acids and bases. This made identifying acidic, basic, and neutral so much easier! I believe a list of the strong acids and bases is on Sapling as well.

Eve Gross-Sable 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Eve Gross-Sable 1B » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:35 am

This was really hard for me too, but I find it helps to visualize what is actually happening when you put it in water. If you use the charts in the book that someone mentioned above, you'll be able to see the character of the cations and anions when they're in water. If the anion is from a weak acid, it's going to pull H+ from the water, making the solution basic. But if the cation is from a weak base, it will pull OH- from the water, making the solution acidic. I hope this helps a bit, for me I feel like it ends up being the opposite of what the words tell you it'll be.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”