Water as a liquid in a reaction

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melody Haratian 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Water as a liquid in a reaction

Postby Melody Haratian 2J » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:15 am

If water was a liquid participating in a reaction but not the main solvent, would it still be included in the equilibrium equation for the equilibrium constant?

Jayasree Peri 2J

Re: Water as a liquid in a reaction

Postby Jayasree Peri 2J » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 am

I don't think it would be, because it wouldn't be in the same state as the other reactants and products. Also, I'm not sure if water would be a liquid participating and not be the main solvent, but I might be wrong about that.

Will Skinner

Postby Will Skinner » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:44 am

If water is a solvent, then you would ignore it for the equilibrium expression. If water was in the same state as the others then you would include it in the equilibrium equatIon.

Liam Bertrand 3

Postby Liam Bertrand 3 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:20 pm

If water is the main solvent it is not included.

Silvi_Lybbert_3A

Postby Silvi_Lybbert_3A » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Yes, I believe so. Almost always, water is the solvent in the reactions we have looked at and especially in biochemistry. However, when water is not the solvent and its concentration is not large enough for a change in its concentration to be negligible, we do include it in the equilibrium equation. After all, if a change in it would be significant so that the initial and final concentrations of water are not essentially equal, they would not cancel out and would contribute to the quotient or K value.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”