Telling Apart Weak Bases vs Weak Acids by their Formula

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rayna Irving 2C

Telling Apart Weak Bases vs Weak Acids by their Formula

Postby Rayna Irving 2C » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:57 pm

Can you guys name some ways to tell if a compound is a weak acid or a weak base just by looking at the formula when trying to calculate equilibrium concentrations, I've been having some trouble with that.

Re: Telling Apart Weak Bases vs Weak Acids by their Formula

Postby 705340227 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:59 pm

I have been having trouble with this as well. One thing that I do know is if something is negative, it’s most likely going to be a base. If something is positive, it’s most likely going to be an acid. Hope that helps a little!

Amanda Bueno-Kling
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Amanda Bueno-Kling » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:23 pm

I think the best strategy is to memorize strong acids and bases, and consider all others as weak. I'm not sure what tips there are other than: I know most acids with COOH (carboxyl group) in them are generally weak acids, like acetic acid for example.

Charlotte Chen 3B

Postby Charlotte Chen 3B » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:29 pm

There's a link Dr. Lavelle shared previously with a table of the strong acids and bases to know:

https://sites.google.com/site/chempendi ... cids-bases

I think for the purposes of this course and as stated on the table, you can assume any other acids/bases not on the table are weak!

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Weak Bases are bases that are not listed in the strong bases list and weak acids are acids not listed in the strong acids list. If you are referring to whether something is an acid or base specifically, then you can usually tell based on their 1.) lewis structure or 2.) their charge. In the case of salts, you must look at the individual components of the salt to determine whether it's acidic or basic. If the basic component is usually part of a strong base, then that basic component is a weak base. Same goes for the acid component. However, if the conjugates of those components make a weak acid/base typically, then it can be said that that component is a strong acid/base.

EnricoArambulo3H
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby EnricoArambulo3H » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:49 pm

I would memorize the strong acids and bases and then assume all others are weak.

Strong acids: HCl04, HCl, H2SO4, HBr, HI, HNO3, and some say HClO3
Strong bases: Group 1 Hydroxides, Calcium, Barium, and Strontium Hydroxides

I hope this helped!

Kathy_Li_1H

Postby Kathy_Li_1H » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:57 am

Hi! For me, I find that using flash cards to memorize the strong acids and bases is the best way to easily identify strong/weak acids and bases. Since there are a lot less strong acids and bases than their weak counterparts, I would just suggest knowing the strong acids and bases.

Strong Acids: HCl, HBr, HI, HClO3, HClO4, HNO3, H2SO4
Strong Bases: Group 1 hydroxides, Ca(OH)2, Sr(OH)2, Ba(OH)2, Group 1 and 2 oxides

Bai Rong Lin 2K

Postby Bai Rong Lin 2K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:54 pm

I would just memorize the strong acid and bases and that helps a lot.

Joshua_Chan_3K

Postby Joshua_Chan_3K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:24 pm

There really isn't a way as far as I know. I searched it up as well and it doesn't seem like you can figure it out just based on the formula. I would follow everyone else's recommendation and just memorize the strong ones, the rest will be weak. There's not that many so its really not that much work. In terms of conjugates just know that if its weak, the conjugate is weak and if its strong, the conjugate is so weak its neutral.

Katelynn Shaheen 2C

Postby Katelynn Shaheen 2C » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 pm

Knowing the strong acids and bases will help you find out which ones are weak.

Strong Acids:
HCl
HBr
HI
H2SO4
HNO3
HClO4
HClO3

Strong Bases:
LiOH
NaOH
KOH
RbOH
CsOH
Ca(OH)2
Sr(OH)2
Ba(OH)2

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:36 am

The best thing would be to memorize all of the strong acids and strong bases (roughly there 6-8 strong bases and 7 strong acids). Consider anything that is not among the list of strong acids and strong bases as weak acids and bases.

Nan_Guan_1L

Postby Nan_Guan_1L » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:32 pm

I think the best solution to that is by being clear of the list of strong acid/ bases. You can find the list in sapling solutions and also in the textbook. Basically everything beside those would be considered a weak acid / base.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”