Determining The Favored Side of an Equilibrium Product

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bronson Mathos 1H

Determining The Favored Side of an Equilibrium Product

Postby Bronson Mathos 1H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:49 pm

Hello, I may be missing something from my notes but I know that when determining which direction the reaction is proceeding in an equilibrium question we solve for Q, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the basis we use to state the direction of the reaction based on this Q?

Stuti Pradhan 2J
Been upvoted: 5 times

Re: Determining The Favored Side of an Equilibrium Product

Postby Stuti Pradhan 2J » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:52 pm

If Q is less than K, then the equilibrium shifts to the right or makes more products. On the other hand, if Q is greater than K, then the equilibrium shifts to the left or makes more reactants. This is because if Q is less than K, that means there is currently a higher concentration of reactants than there is at equilibrium, which increases the denominator, making Q smaller. Therefore, to reach equilibrium, the reaction needs to produce more products. The opposite is true when Q is greater than K. If Q is larger, that means there is currently a higher concentration of products than there is at equilibrium, which increases the numerator of Q. To reach equilibrium from here, more reactants would have to be formed.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Stuti Pradhan 2J on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megan Singer 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Megan Singer 3D » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 pm

To figure this out all you have to do is think about how Q = [P]/[R]. If Q > K, the [P] is higher/the [R] is lower in Q than it is in K, so [P] goes down and [R] goes up (reactants are favored). If Q < K, the [R] is higher/the [P] is lower in Q than it is in K, so [R] goes down and [P] goes up (products are favored).

Natalie 3k

Postby Natalie 3k » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 pm

I'm not fully sure if this is what you're asking, but to find the direction of the reaction we have to compare the Q value to K. If Q is bigger than K then it shifts to the left (because it is measured by products/reactants, and a number bigger than K would mean there are more products), and if Q is less than K it would shift to the right (because there are more reactants than at equilibrium). Hope this helps !

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:03 pm

If Q < K, the reaction will shift to the right (towards products).. If Q > K, the reaction will shift to the left (towards reactants). If they are equal, the reaction is at equilibrium.

edward_brodell_2I

Postby edward_brodell_2I » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:27 pm

To avoid confusion I always put Q left and K right and the direction of the inequality determines which gets favored Q<K inequality sign is right so products are favored etc.

Jarrett Sung 3B

Postby Jarrett Sung 3B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:48 pm

You have to compare the Q value to the K equilibrium constant, and if Q < K, the reaction will proceed towards the products while if Q > K, the reaction will proceed towards the reactants. If Q = K, the reaction is at equilibrium.

Kelly Tran 1J

Postby Kelly Tran 1J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:58 pm

If Q < K, the equilibrium will shift to the right and products are favored. If Q > K, the equilibrium will shift to the left and reactants are favored.

Pratika Nagpal

Postby Pratika Nagpal » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:30 am

does it matter how much less than or more than K, Q is.

like is there a particular threshold after which we can determine whether products or reactants will be favoured ?

Karina Grover 1A

Postby Karina Grover 1A » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:57 am

If Q is less than K, then that means that there are more reactants. If there are more reactants, then the reaction will want to proceed in the forward direction to make more products. Thus, product formation is favored.

If Q is greater than K, then that means that there are more products. If there are more products, then the reaction will want to proceed in the reverse direction to make more reactants. Thus, reactant formation is favored.

Sean Wang 1F

Postby Sean Wang 1F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:05 pm

If Q is less than K, then products are favored because the numerator needs to increase. If Q is greater than K, then reactants are favored because the denominator needs to increase.

AlbertGu_2C

Postby AlbertGu_2C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:41 pm

The way I remember it is when looking at Q >,<, or = K, the way the open end of the sign is facing is which side is favored.

Taha 2D

Postby Taha 2D » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm

If Q is less than K, then the equilibrium shifts to the right or makes more products. On the other hand, if Q is greater than K, then the equilibrium shifts to the left or makes more reactants.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”