Textbook 6E.3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessy Ji 2J
Been upvoted: 3 times

Textbook 6E.3

Postby Jessy Ji 2J » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:05 am

In this question, it says "ignoring second deportations only when the approximation is justified." I was wondering what does it mean when it says approximation is justified?

Vy Le 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Textbook 6E.3

Postby Vy Le 1G » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 am

Hello,

Correct me if I’m misinterpreting your question but Dr. Lavelle mentioned we can justify our approximation if the percentage deprotonation is less than 5%. In the context of your quote, since K2 is really weak compared to K1, we usually have a good enough (<5%) calculation with our approximation. There is an exception with H2SO4 though!

Hopefully this helped.

Michelle_Duong_3H

Postby Michelle_Duong_3H » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:27 am

Hello,

When we have an equilibrium constant that is less than 10^-3, then we can approximate the change in reactants. This is because the decrease in reactants is extremely small compared to the initial amount of reactant. Approximation makes these problems a lot simpler, especially when it comes to cubic equations. However, in order for this approximation to be valid (or justified, as you mentioned), the percent ionization must be less than 5%.

Hope this helps!

Hannah_Pon_1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hannah_Pon_1F » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:13 am

For polyprotic acids:
Estimate the pH of a polyprotic acid for which all deprotonations are weak by using only the first deprotonation equilibrium and assuming that further deprotonation is insignificant (assuming the percent ionization is less than 5%). An exception is sulfuric acid, the only common polyprotic acid that is a strong acid in its first deprotonation.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”