Achieve #9 and #10

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

gwenkelley3L

Achieve #9 and #10

Postby gwenkelley3L » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:44 pm

For problems like #9 and #10 on this weeks achieve homework, how do we determine whether or not the species is charged, neutral or unknown?

Hayley Vu

Re: Achieve #9 and #10

Postby Hayley Vu » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:25 pm

I don't think we have covered the material for those two questions in class yet. After you get the correct answer, the solution explains how we would determine whether or not the species is charged, but it doesn't look like something we have gone over-- maybe we'll hear about it tomorrow :)

Morgan Oey-3H

Postby Morgan Oey-3H » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:36 pm

I also don't think that we have covered this in class as well, but when I was answering this question I assumed that both would be charged since the pH was not equal to 7, which is what pure water is. It'd be unlikely for us to also not know what the species is, so I kind of did an educated guess.

You could also take a look at the solution after submitting the question, which compares the pH and pKa values in determining which species will be more dominant in the solution.

Sophia Zhao

Postby Sophia Zhao » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:59 am

You can look into notes for 14A when professor covered acids and bases. When pH<pKa, the acid is neutral. When pH>pKa, the acid is charged. In the solution for achieve, the diagram showing the charge was shown last quarter.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”