Bookwork 5J #11b

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Meagan Kimbrell 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Bookwork 5J #11b

Postby Meagan Kimbrell 1I » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:22 pm

5J.11 Predict whether each of the following equilibria will shift toward products or reactants with a temperature increase:
b)X2(g) <--> 2X(g), where X is a halogen

For some reason, the answers are formatted really weirdly so that I do not know what the answer is to this question. I just wanted to check, the equilibrium will shift towards the reactants because there are a less amount of moles?
Thanks in advance!

Shria G 2D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Bookwork 5J #11b

Postby Shria G 2D » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:01 am

Hi,
The answers are clear in the student solutions manual! But, I think the answer for part b is that it shifts toward the products. This is because the reaction is endothermic since it would require energy to break the X-X bond. If temperature is increased, the equilibrium would shift in order to absorb the extra heat and that would be in the direction of the endothermic reaction which is the forward reaction. Therefore, it would shift towards products. I think you would only look at the number of moles on each side when looking at how a change in pressure would affect the reaction, not temperature.

Mia Hansen 2I

Re: Bookwork 5J #11b

Postby Mia Hansen 2I » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am

When the change is a temperature increase you look at whether the reaction is endothermic or exothermic instead of the number of moles on each side. You would need to break a bond in X2 to create the product. Since breaking a bond requires energy, the reaction is endothermic. Endothermic reactions favor the products when heat is added.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”