Calculate Percent Ionization

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Hiti 1K

Calculate Percent Ionization

Postby Ashley Hiti 1K » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:03 pm

I have been trying to calculate the percent ionization for achieve but every problem instructs me to use the quadratic formula instead. How do I use the quadratic formula? Does this mean I need to use ICE tables?

Kiku Shirakata 2A

Re: Calculate Percent Ionization

Postby Kiku Shirakata 2A » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:18 pm

Hello,

Yes, an ICE table would be useful to visualize the problem. The quadratic formula is used when you are solving for 'x' in the Ka/b equation you set up. Usually, in the ice table, you will have the equilibrium concentrations as acid/base = (initial concentration) - x, conjugate base/acid = 'x', and [H+]/[H3O+]='x'. In this case, your Ka or Kb equation should be set up as Ka/Kb = x^2/((initial concentration) - x).

Sometimes, we are allowed to ignore the 'x' in the denominator when the Ka/b value is less than 10^-3. However, when it is not small enough to approximate, we need to include the 'x'. By adding that variable, you will need to solve a quadratic equation to find the value of x, which will then allow you to correctly calculate the percent ionization.

Hope this helps!

Madison Nguyen 3L

Re: Calculate Percent Ionization

Postby Madison Nguyen 3L » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:31 pm

Percent ionization calculations require finding the initial concentration of acid/base and dividing it by the concentration of its conjugate species. Therefore, depending on if the Ka or Kb value is smaller than 10^-3, you may approximate the value of the initial concentration and disregard its x expression, enabling you to find the x values for the conjugate species concentration without quadratic equation. If the approximation is invalid, meaning x is greater than 5% of its initial concentration, then you must use the quadratic formula to solve for all x that belongs to the initial, conjugate, and H3O+ or OH- species, rather than taking the shortcut. This process is made simple with an ICE table, being that you could organize the expressions for your reactant and products easily.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”