Achieve #7 and 8, wk 2

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

almaortega

Achieve #7 and 8, wk 2

Postby almaortega » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:35 am

I was able to do the calculations after getting a hint, but how are we supposed to know what to use for the ICE table and the reaction? In question 7, we needed to use the actual ClO- + H2O <--> HClO + OH- but for number 8 we just needed to know the basic AH <--> H+ + A-.

Alice Guey 1B

Re: Achieve #7 and 8, wk 2

Postby Alice Guey 1B » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:23 am

I am not sure if I am interpreting your question correctly; are you asking about how to decide whether to use a reaction for an acid being deprotonated or a reaction for a base being protonated? In the Achieve problems, you are told whether a salt acts as a weak acid or a weak base. However, you can also identify whether a salt acts as a weak acid or a weak base by yourself if you analyze the components of the salt. If the salt is composed by an anion from a strong acid and a cation from a weak base, then the anion will end up being a spectator ion and the cation will be a weak acid. In this situation, you should use a reaction for an acid being deprotonated. If the salt is composed by a cation from a strong base and an anion from a weak acid, then the cation will end up being a spectator ion and the anion will be a weak base. In this situation, you should use a reaction for a base being protonated.

LavieTran2B

Re: Achieve #7 and 8, wk 2

Postby LavieTran2B » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:06 pm

Hi Alice,
HA + H2O <--> H+ + A- is the basic structure of the deprotonation of an acid. Therefore, you can make the assumptions for problems where this is given that you would with problems that give the chemical equation. The only difference is that chemical equations will have coefficients, but if the problem doesn't specify, then it should be fine.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”