Spectator ion?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tianna Nguyen 1I

Spectator ion?

Postby Tianna Nguyen 1I » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 am

Hi, can someone explain what a spectator ion is?

Alice Guey 1B

Re: Spectator ion?

Postby Alice Guey 1B » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:18 am

Spectator ions are ions that are present in a solution but do not take part in a reaction in the solution. As a result, spectator ions are either written as both reactants and products of a reaction or omitted from the chemical equation altogether. In the context of acids and bases, an example of a spectator ion is an anion from a strong acid that composes a salt. Recall that strong acids ionize completely, so the anion will not react to form the acid again. The other component of the salt may participate in a reaction, but the anion will not.

Anjali Kalagiri 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Anjali Kalagiri 3F » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:17 am

Hi! Spectator ions are present in a vessel but will not interact with the reaction. These are often from very strong acids/bases, for example Na+ or Cl-. This happens because the acid/base/salt dissociates completely and the ions don't interact with the other species.

Neelaj Das 3I

Postby Neelaj Das 3I » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:31 am

A spectator ion is essentially a species, when adding up reactions to find the net reaction, is present on both the reactants and products side so it gets cancelled out. A spectator ion does not actually have any impact on the chemical reaction itself.

Anthony_Rio_3K

Postby Anthony_Rio_3K » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:56 am

Can reactions with spectator Ions happen without them? If so, why are they included in the chemical reaction equation? Thanks!

Shania Garrison Discussion 3E

Postby Shania Garrison Discussion 3E » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 pm

A spectator ion is a cation or anion that you would see attached to a strong base or strong acid. These are all of the groups 1 and 2 metal cations, as well as the anions from the strong acids list we are supposed to memorize. For example, in HCL, the Cl- would be considered a spectator ion, meaning that it will not affect the pH.

Chelsea Tran 3H

Postby Chelsea Tran 3H » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:35 pm

Spectator ions are ions that are present in a chemical reaction, but don't necessarily contribute to the reaction. They typically are there to balance the charges of the ions.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”