Percent ionization?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Percent ionization?

Postby 505739628 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi, I'm still really confused on what exactly it means when the problem is asking us to calculate the percent ionization? I always get stuck when solving so if anyone could help me by walking me through how we solve those problems I would really appreciate it!

Tomas Burgess 3F

Re: Percent ionization?

Postby Tomas Burgess 3F » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:39 pm

Hi! When calculating the percent ionization, you should use this setup: [ion concentration] / [initial concentration] X 100. Since these weak acid/base problems always start with a certain amount of weak acid or base, at equilibrium, some of this compound will dissociate into its ions (for example, HA <---> H+ + A-). Therefore, the percent ionization is just the concentration of original compound that dissociates into ions divided by the original concentration.

Serene Liu 3H

Postby Serene Liu 3H » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:44 pm

Hey! The percent ionization is the ration of the equilibrium concentration divided by the initial concentration x 100. If the problem gives you the molarity of the solution, for instance, that will be the initial concentration you divide by after finding the equilibrium concentration from the Ka/Kb equation and the icebox.

Tanvi Akula 2K

Postby Tanvi Akula 2K » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:47 pm

Percent ionization means how much of the compound has actually reacted. In the case of a weak base, you can calculate it by taking your weak base in the reactant and dividing it by its conjugate acid from the product and multiplying this whole thing by 100.

Emily Wan 1l

Postby Emily Wan 1l » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:22 pm

The percent ionization refers to the extent of ionization of the compound and can be calculated through finding the ratio between the concentration of the ionized acid/ base and the initial concentration.

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”