Knowing Acid Formulas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sean1F

Knowing Acid Formulas

Postby Sean1F » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:06 pm

Are we supposed to know the general chemical equation for acids? I did NOT know what the setup actually looked like when I was doing the first 2 problems on this week's homework. So, are we expected to know the formula for monoprotic weak acids in exams? If so, got any tips for learning the basics?

Patrick Herbig 1E

Re: Knowing Acid Formulas

Postby Patrick Herbig 1E » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:39 pm

From my understanding, I think we will have to know the formula for monoprotic weak acids. Then again, we did have a sheet with the formulas on them for midterms and finals for 14A, so it is possible that these formulas will be given. However, if we do have to memorize formulas such as this then I would suggest focusing on gaining an understanding of why the formulas are set up how they are. Once you know the reason for a formulas setup, it is much clearer how the variables and components work together.

Claire_Sabol_2G

Postby Claire_Sabol_2G » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:42 pm

Hi Sean! If you are referring to the equation set-up of HA (aq) <--> H+ (aq) + A- (aq) , I do believe this is something important to note. Essentially, this is just showing us how an acid (strong or weak, noted as "HA") will dissociate (partially or fully) in solution and release protons (H+). The way I see it, HA is the acid in full (with the proton). When in solution, the acid will "let go" of these protons, resulting in the H+ and A- on the right side of the equation. Personally, it makes a little more sense when you think of it in terms of actual acidic compounds (as we saw in some class examples), but hopefully this explanation made sense! My tip for you would be to just understand the general concept of acid dissociation, and that should help you memorize this general formula!

Sean1F

Postby Sean1F » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:45 pm

Thank you for the replies!!!

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”