HClO3 - Strong or Weak Acid

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Patrick Herbig 1E

HClO3 - Strong or Weak Acid

Postby Patrick Herbig 1E » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:09 pm

In reference to the textbook, the list of strong acids indicates that HClO3 can either be a strong acid or a weak acid. Is there a specific way that we are interpreting this acid for this class or is it dependent on the situation? Also, what are the specific factors that determine whether this acid is strong or weak?

Raymond_Kallely_1A

Re: HClO3 - Strong or Weak Acid

Postby Raymond_Kallely_1A » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:52 pm

I'm pretty sure that HClO3 is considered to be a strong acid more often than not, but to answer the question on determining if the acid is strong or weak, one way to look at it is through the bonds of the molecule. The stronger the bonds are, the less likely they are to dissociate. Because of this, the acid is considered to be weaker. On the other hand, molecules which can dissociate to a higher degree are more acidic. Hope this helped

Mikayla 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Mikayla 2G » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:24 pm

I think this acid is considered strong for this class, if not, the question will specify which one it is.

Polo Morales 3C

Postby Polo Morales 3C » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:22 pm

Given that it can be classified as either, it is highly unlikely that we will get a problem on an assessment where we would have to classify as one or the other ourselves. In the event that it did come up in a question, it would likely be specified whether we should treat it as a strong or a weak acid. In response to your other question, acids that are considered stronger typically have weaker bonds with a Hydrogen atom. This weakened bond makes it easier for the strong acid to lose said Hydrogen and dissociate. In other words, the weaker the bond, the more reactive the acid. The more reactive the acid, the more H3O+ are produced. Hope this helps!

Postby 205678283 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:39 pm

I remember from Chem 14A that occasionally they would ask you to determine the relative strength of an acid such as HClO3 in comparison to other strong acids, such as HClO2, in which HClO3 would be stronger because it has more oxygens.

Monse Mata 3D

Postby Monse Mata 3D » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:33 pm

205678283 wrote:I remember from Chem 14A that occasionally they would ask you to determine the relative strength of an acid such as HClO3 in comparison to other strong acids, such as HClO2, in which HClO3 would be stronger because it has more oxygens.

I totally remember this now, I had the same question as the original person who posted it. Your response definitely helped.Thank you!

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”