Achieve questions 9 and 10

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Achieve questions 9 and 10

Postby 805939635 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:24 pm

Questions 9 and 10 on achieve assignment #2 ask to find whether the predominant species is charged or neutral based on pH and pKa. I am not sure how to find this. I understand there's a relationship that depends on whether the pH or the pKa is higher, but I don't know which of those means which or why.

Jenny Tran 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Achieve questions 9 and 10

Postby Jenny Tran 2B » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:04 am

hi! from my understanding, when the pH of the solution > the pKa of a weak acid, the charged species is predominant. and when the pH of the solution < pKa of a weak acid, the neutral species is predominant. however, when the pH of the solution > pKa of the conjugate acid, the neutral species is predominant. and when the pH of the solution < pKa of a conjugate acid, the charged species is predominant.

Matthew Morita 2F

Re: Achieve questions 9 and 10

Postby Matthew Morita 2F » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:27 pm

Hello,
So the reason why it has to do with pH and pKa was explained in one of the workshops I went to. For example, pH<pKa. If you simplify this into logs then -log[H+]<-log[Ka]. Then you can cancel the -log on each side and since you are dividing by a negative you change the sign. Therfore [H+]>Ka. You can simply this into [H+]>{A-]*[H+]/[HA]. You can cancel the [H+] on each side which makes the equation 1>[A-}/[HA]. Then you multiply each side by [HA-] which gets you [HA]>[A-]. Therefore, if pH<pKa there will be more [HA] and the solution will be neutrally charged. This is for acids but im sure the math is relatively the same for bases as well. Hope this helps

Return to “Equilibrium Constants & Calculating Concentrations”